How to migrate from Singapore to UK in 2022?
Posted on September 27, 2021
The United Kingdom is one of the most popular migration destinations due to its great quality of life and multicultural society.
The majority of professionals in Singapore go to the UK to work there and with the UK’s introduction of the Skilled Worker Visa, this has become easier.
Visa options for migration
There are various visa options to immigrate to the UK:
- Tier 1 Visa for highly skilled immigrants through a points-based system
- Tier 2 Visa for skilled workers who are sponsored by an employer in the UK
- Tier 5 Provisional Work Visa through the Youth Mobility Scheme
- Tier 4 UK Study Visa
Points based system
The UK adopted a points-based system in 2021 to determine the eligibility of immigrant applicants. The main features of the system are:
- Highly skilled workers, skilled workers and students wanting to come to the UK must follow the points-based system
- A job offer is mandatory for skilled workers
- Salary threshold will now be 26,000 pounds per year, reduced from 30,000 pounds required earlier
- Applicants must prove that they can speak English (A-level or equivalent)
- Highly skilled workers will need to be endorsed by a UK body; however, they do not need a job offer
- Students will also come under the points- based system to study in the UK and must show proof of an admission letter from an educational institute, English proficiency and funds.
- 70 points is the minimum score required to be eligible for a visa
70 points for visa eligibility
A job offer in the UK and the ability to speak English will get the applicant 50 points. The additional 20 points required to qualify for the visa can be gained through any of the following qualifications:
- Having a job offer that pays you 26,000 pounds or above per year will give you 20 points
- 10 points for a relevant PhD or 20 points for a PhD in a STEM subject
- 20 points for an offer for a job where there is a skill shortage
|Job offer||20 points|
|Job at appropriate skill level||20 points|
|English speaking skills||10 points|
|Salary of 26,000 and above or relevant PhD in a STEM subject||10 + 10 = 20 points|
You must have the required results on an English Language Proficiency Test (IELTS or TOEFL).
You must not be a citizen of an EU or EEA member state.
You must have all of the necessary paperwork, such as work experience certificates.
You must have sufficient finances to support yourself throughout your first few days in the country.
You must have the requisite character and health certificates.
You can migrate to the UK:
- With a job offer
- By going there as a student
- By getting married to a UK citizen or permanent resident
- As an entrepreneur
- As an investor
Migrating to the UK with a job offer
Expats from Singapore who wish to work in the UK can use the Tier 2 visa program. If their occupation is listed in the Tier 2 shortage occupation list, they can come to the UK on a long-term basis. Shortage occupations most commonly include the IT, finance, and engineering fields.
There are two main routes available to overseas job seekers wishing to work in the UK:
- Tier 2 (General) for highly skilled workers.
- Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) for highly skilled workers from multinational companies who are being transferred to the UK branch.
With the Tier 2 visa, skilled workers from other countries can be selected based on the shortage occupation list and they will be eligible to get an offer letter without the labor market test and stay in the UK for up to 5 years.
Eligibility requirements for the Skilled Worker visa
- Score of 70 points to qualify in the defined parameters like specific skills, qualifications, salaries and professions.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with 2 years of skilled work experience from the eligible occupations list
- A job offer from an employer who is a Home Office licensed sponsor
- Meet the English Language requirement at B1 level in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- Meet the general salary threshold of £25,600, or the specific salary requirement for the occupation or the ‘going rate’.
Benefits of the Skilled worker visa
- Visa holders can bring dependents on the visa
- Spouse is allowed to work on the visa
- No cap on the number of people who can move to the UK on the visa
- Minimum salary requirement has been reduced to £25600 from threshold of £30000
- Fast Track Visas will be provided for healthcare professionals like doctors and nurses
- No requirement for the Resident Labor Market Test for employers
Migrating to the UK as a student
You can move to the UK on a Tier 4 visa if you are joining a full-time study program.
Post study options for international students
International students with a valid Tier 4 visa in the UK can stay in the country after finishing their studies as long as they have a work offer that provides the required salary.
They can upgrade to a Tier 2 General Visa with a five-year validity period from a Tier 4 Visa.
Students will be able to apply for permanent residence in the UK with the support of their post-study work experience.
Migrating to the UK to set up a business
The Tier 1 visa offers two categories for setting up a business in the UK:
Tier 1 Innovator Visa
Tier 1 Startup Visa
Tier 1 Innovator Visa- This visa category is for experienced business people who want to start innovative enterprises in the United Kingdom. A minimum investment of 50,000 pounds is required, and the business must be sponsored by an endorsing body.
You will be eligible for this visa if you:
- Are not a citizen of the EEA and Switzerland
- Wish to set up a business in the UK
- Have an innovative and scalable business idea
Features of the innovator visa
- If you enter the UK on an Innovator Visa or are already in the country on another valid visa, you can stay for up to three years.
- The visa can be renewed for another three years, and you can renew it multiple times.
- After five years on this visa, you are eligible to stay in the nation indefinitely.
Tier 1 Startup Visa
This visa category exclusively caters to entrepreneurs with high potential who are starting a business for the first time.
Features of the Startup visa
- You can stay for up to two years on this visa and can bring your spouse or partner and unmarried children under the age of 18 to stay with you
- You can do work outside your business for funding your stay
- You cannot extend your visa after two years, but you can apply for the innovator visa to extend your stay and develop your business.
This visa can be applied for three months before to your desired date of travel to the United Kingdom. Other requirements for qualifying include:
- You are not a European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss citizen.
- You want to start a business in the United Kingdom.
- You must be 18 years old or older.
- You must be able to communicate in English.
- You must have sufficient finances to support yourself while in the United Kingdom.
Global Talent Visa
The UK Global Talent Visa was introduced in the UK to cater to the ‘best and brightest’ from around the world.
The Global Talent visa allows visa holders to move between businesses, jobs, and responsibilities without restriction. Unlike the Tier 2 visa for skilled workers, the visa does not stipulate a minimum income level for the employment roles.
The UK Global Talent visa has the following eligibility requirements:
The applicant must be a leader or a future leader in
- Research or academia
- Culture and the arts
- Digital technology
The applicant must be 18 years old or older.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to the UK, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Consultants.