Study Abroad in Canada: Top 10 Canadian Universities for 2022
Posted on December 21, 2021
Canada is among the top destinations in the world for study abroad.
Each year, many international students come to Canada to be a part of world-class education, graduating with a high quotient for global employability.
Why study abroad in Canada?
Many and diverse reasons come together to make Canada a good place for studying abroad.
These reasons include –
- Academic excellence, a Canadian degree carries with it the mark of excellence.
- Affordable, Canada is known to have among the lowest university tuitions fees when compared to other English-speaking countries. There is something for almost every budget, along with being a good return on investment for a student from India.
- Ample research opportunities, with a strong focus on research and development, the Canadian government offers great support for research in technology, medicine etc.
- Learn with the best and the brightest, Canada is globally recognized for the outstanding quality of education.
- Work in Canada, when in Canada as an international student, you can (1) work while you study, (2) help your spouse /partner to get a Canada work permit while you study as an international student, (3) work temporarily in Canada after you graduate, or (4) settle in Canada permanently after you graduate in Canada.
- Stay back in Canada after you graduate, if eligible, you can stay back in Canada for up to three years – under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) – after graduating in Canada as an international student. This lets you gain valuable Canadian work experience, making you eligible for permanent residency later on.
- Canada immigration opportunities, with Canada work experience, you become eligible for applying for various Canada immigration programs, such as the Canada Experience Class (CEC) under the federal Express Entry system.
Study abroad in Canada sets you up for a brilliant career ahead. As per the QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2022, University of Toronto has an employer reputation of 96. Focused purely on employability, employer reputation involves employers being asked to identify “those institutions from which they source the most competent, innovative, effective graduates”.
In 2020, there were estimated to be 530,540 overseas students in Canada at the end of the year.
|Number of study permit holders with a valid permit in Canada from 2000 to 2020|
|Year||No. of Study permit holders|
SOURCE: Statista, a leading provider of consumer and market data.
- Complete Admissions Support to Study in Canada
- Student Direct Stream (SDS) – Get study permit in 20 days
- 10 things you should know about Y-Axis Study Abroad
- Campus Ready – Study Overseas for Students
Top 10 Canadian Universities for 2022
The QS World University Rankings 2022 includes 27 top Canadian universities.
|QS World University Rankings 2022 – Top 10 Universities in Canada|
|Serial No.||Global Rank||University|
|1||#26||University of Toronto|
|2||#27 [tied]||McGill University|
|3||#46||University of British Columbia|
|4||#111||Université de Montréal|
|5||#126||University of Alberta|
|7||#149 [tied]||University of Waterloo|
|9||#230||University of Ottawa|
|10||#235||University of Calgary|
University of Toronto
Vision: “That every student finds a sense of belonging, realizes their potential and flourishes on their journey at the University of Toronto and beyond.”
A global leader in teaching and research, University of Toronto – often referred to as simply U of T – provides diverse and extensive areas of study.
University of Toronto has more than 560,000 accomplished alumni globally.
[in Montreal, Quebec]
Through “the advancement of learning and the creation and dissemination of knowledge”, McGill University offers the best in terms of study abroad in Canada. McGill University carries out research and scholarly activities as per the highest international standards.
One of the best-known higher education institutions in Canada, McGill University is also among the leading universities in the world.
McGill University is known to be the most internationally diverse of any research-intensive Canadian universities. International students from over 150 countries can be found studying at McGill University.
University of British Columbia
A global centre for teaching, learning and research, the University of British Columbia (UBS) is consistently ranked among the best in the world.
Since 1915, UBC has been holding the door of opportunity open for individuals “with the curiosity, drive and vision to shape a better world”.
UBC’s two main campuses are situated in –
- Kelowna (in the Okanagan Valley), and
As per the latest statistics, around 27.2% of students at the UBC Vancouver campus and 20.9% students at the UBC Okanagan campus were international.
UBS also has regional bases in India and Hong Kong.
Université de Montréal
Founded in 1878, Université de Montréal (UdeM) ranks among the top tier global universities.
UdeM offers 250 undergraduate programs and 350 graduate programs.
Self-proclaimed to have “its roots in Montreal and its eyes on the international horizon”, Université de Montréal is a top Canadian university with an international vision.
UdeM is the 2nd biggest research university in Canada.
University of Alberta
Among the top universities in the world, University of Alberta, also called Alberta or U of A, is globally connected through around 400 teaching and research partnerships in 50 countries worldwide.
UAlberta is one of the Top 5 universities in Canada, offering 500+ graduate and 200 undergraduate programs.
[in Hamilton, Ontario]
Renowned for teaching and research, McMaster University has 998 faculty members coming from 55 countries.
With a commitment to “creativity, excellence and innovation in teaching”, McMaster University has been named Canada’s most research-intensive institution for a consecutive 3rd year in a row.
University of Waterloo
Established in 1957, the University of Waterloo began with 74 engineering students. Today, more that 42,000 students attend in a year.
University of Waterloo is the top Canadian university for experiential learning and employer-student connections.
Fostering an entrepreneurial spirit, Waterloo attracts scholars from all across the world. Spanning 220,000 alumni in 151 countries, Waterloo has a global network.
[in London, Ontario]
Founded in 1878, the University of Western Ontario (UWO) is also referred to as Western University.
A research-oriented university, Western is an acclaimed global centre for academic excellence.
Western University offers a wide range in undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs.
University of Ottawa
Commonly referred to as uOttawa, the University of Ottawa offers the perfect combination of tools, technologies, expertise and space to make you push the boundaries of knowledge, becoming your bets future self in the process.
University of Ottawa lets you customize a degree course that is most ideally-suited for you. 550 undergraduate and graduate programs available to choose from.
A wide range in programs and services available.
University of Calgary
With the University motto Mo shùile togam suas (in Gaelic), translated to “I will lift up my eyes”, the University of Calgary is among the top comprehensive research universities in Canada.
Though founded in 1966, the University of Calgary traces its origins to the early 1900s. The University of Calgary has a total of five campuses –
- Main Campus,
- Downtown Campus,
- Foothills, and
More than 250 programs are available to choose from. Of the 33,000+ students at the University of Calgary, 26,000+ are undergraduate students, and 6,000+ are graduate students.
|Canada’s more than 100 public and private universities offer 15,000+ programs at all levels.|
Universities in Canada offer Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctorate (PhD) degrees equivalent to those in the US, the UK, and Australia.
If you are looking to Work, Study, Invest, Visit, or Migrate to Canada, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No. 1 Immigration & Visa Company.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like …